Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sans Eggs

So I'm on this detox mission which, if you've read my previous blogs, you already know, and if you haven't, well... now you do.

Anyway, to sum up, the point is to find out what I'm allergic to. So for 3 weeks, I ate chicken, veggies and fruit. It pretty much sucked and the only difference I truly noticed is that my nails started to grow!

So now I'm in the process of bringing things back into my diet in order to see what I react with. So I brought back beef, then vinegar (and most sauces!!) and now I'm on to wheat.

What do you eat that has wheat, but not yeast, and no eggs or milk?

Homemade pancakes!! I found a recipe online for eggless pancakes and I decided I would take the recipe as a suggestion, and go from there.

This is what it ended up looking like:

1/2 cup Almond Milk (Vanilla)
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1 tbsp. hemp seeds
1 tsp. Agave nectar (Vanilla)
1 tsp. baking powder
And a pinch of salt.

The recipe called for a 1/4 tsp. of vanilla, but I thought that might be overkill with my ingredients. After I made one pancake, I also added cinnamon to the rest of the batter.

This amount made enough for me, but can easily be doubled (I halved the recipe to come up with this).

Other substitutions you could make:
Vanillla Almond milk could be substituted for other flavours of Almond Milk (Original or Chocolate), Rice milk, or regular milk.
Hemp seeds could be substituted with flaxseeds, chia seeds or fruit.
Agave nectar can be substituted for real sugar (in which case double it).
Cinnamon can be substituted for cocoa powder.

My pancakes weren't the fluffiest pancakes I've ever had, but they were delicious. If you're also looking for a substitute for Maple Syrup (I know, you'd have to be crazy to do that!) you could try almond butter or apple butter. The apple butter goes really well if you have added cinnamon!

The site I got my recipe from was: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/pancakes-without-eggs.html

No comments:

Post a Comment